Cummings Candy & Coffee has been around, under various names, for over 110 years of continuous family operation. It's the oldest family-run business in the city of Butler.
Cummings Confectioners was founded in 1905 by Pete Cummings. Pete had emigrated from the town of Sparta in Greece in the early 1900s to come to the United States.
A few years later, Bill Cummings left Sparta also, and came to the New World to join his brother. He became involved with the business shortly after he arrived.
Around 1915, the Cummings changed the name of the company to Cummings Candy and moved it to the current location on Main Street. The shop, with its marble soda fountain and mahogany booths, became a regular hang-out for locals and a favored stop for visitors to town.
Bill Cummings’s son Thomas took over operation of the business after World War II.
Tom Cummings "The Candy Man"
In 1995, Thomas’ son Barry joined the family business. They started serving coffee and espresso drinks, and restored the soda fountain to glory.
Today, Cummings Candy & Coffee has extended its operation with a cafe at The Butler Hospital and a new location at 530c Evans City Road just west of Butler. They continue their long-standing traditions of serving excellent food and drink and providing a welcoming, fun, and friendly atmosphere to locals and visitors alike.
Butler Hospital Cafe