Our History

Cummings Candy & Coffee has been around for over 110 years of continuous family operation. It’s the oldest family-run business in the city of Butler.

Cummings Confectioners was founded in 1905 by Pete Cummings, an immigrant from Sparta, Greece.  The shop was originally located on South Main Street in Butler, PA.  Shortly after opening, Pete was joined in business by his brother, William, who had also emigrated from Sparta.  The candy shop was originally located on South Main Street.  Around 1915, the brothers moved the candy business to it’s current location at 146 North Main Street and renamed it, “Cummings’ Candy.”

In 1995, Thomas’ son Barry joined the family business. He remodeled the soda fountain and added a full-service coffee bar, modeled after those he’d experienced on a trip to Italy.  Butler was quick to embrace espresso, and the coffee shop grew quickly and sparked renewed growth for the soda fountain and candy shop, too.

Today, Cummings Candy & Coffee Shop has expanded to 4 locations in Butler. They still offer soda fountain drinks and ice cream at their downtown location, and fine candies and gourmet coffees at all the others.

They continue their long-standing traditions of serving excellent food and drink and providing a welcoming, fun, and friendly atmosphere to locals and visitors alike.

Close Menu